Friday 23 August 2013

The Big Blue

In my home I am surrounded by water-loving people! My husband loves all water sports, especially surfing and wind surfing, and my three kids must've been fish in their former lives. Even our dog, who is a golden retriever, is a water dog, and will make a b-line for a puddle! I, on the other hand, am more of a land lover. But I do find water, the ocean in particular, absolutely beautiful and mesmerizing - as long as I'm not in it! :)




I have long admired the image above with the massive photograph of the ocean. I find it
so simple and tranquil, and in my busy life I crave tranquility. Whether it's calm waters, crashing waves, or a rippling swimming pool, I love all water images.








1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7


I recently acquired my very own piece of watery art, and I absolutely love it. After a lot of searching I found a shop on Etsy run by New York artist and photographer, Suzanne Harford. She has some beautiful beach & ocean photographs and she was kind enough to create a custom listing for me. She tweaked the colours on my chosen photograph, as I wanted it slightly more turquoise, and created a special large size print. Once received, I had it framed in a simple wooden frame and it now hangs happily in my living room.




It has the exact effect I was hoping for - calm and peaceful - and it's easy to get lost in.
You can't see it, but to the left is a large window seat that looks out and across to the real ocean. But I find my picture always pulls me back.

10 comments :

  1. absolutely stunning! so cool! I have wanted one of these for ages too, but need one about 2m plus long...ohhh you lucky thing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodie. I would've loved to have got one as big as that, especially since the top one, which was my inspiration, is so huge. Mine is a slightly larger than 1m in width, and fits well on that wall. But the bigger the better, I say :) x

      Delete
  2. We are totally on the same wavelength - I have also been craving an oversized print of the ocean to hang in my home recently. I don't have any free wall space so I might have to have a rejig because I can't stop thinking about doing it! Big hugs, Vic! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back at you, Will. You should definitely rejig, I'd love to see your ocean print. My next project is to find some cool vintage surfing images to frame for our dining room x

      Delete
  3. Vic,

    It looks fantastic and I love how you framed it! Thank you so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Suzanne. Thanks for your fabulous work :) x

      Delete
  4. Amazing style ;) Blue es mi colour favorito ;)

    I follow you beautiful blog. I hope you will follow me back and I will wait for you in my blog www.gabusiek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have often been asked to paint water but never attempted to try, this post is encouraging me to try something a little bit different when I get back to painting.

    Lee :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you would also enjoy the photographs of Hilary Upton, a kiwi, also available on Etsy:

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/hilaryupton?section_id=6495344

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just awesome, Vic. I remember the first time you showed that huge photo, and how much I loved it. Now you have your own!! Well worth the effort. Looks fab. Rx

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to hear from you. Thanks for your comment. Best wishes, Vic xxx

Blogging tips